Guideline for qualifications
Habitat for Humanity is a Christian housing ministry financed through private donations and utilizing volunteer labor. Our purpose is to build houses with families and sell the houses at no interest to families who could not otherwise afford a home.
Please read the following items to determine if you have an interest in our ministry and if you meet the general guidelines of qualification.
Please note that we have approved partner families for building that will take us into 2017. If you have an urgent housing need, we are unable to address it at this time. Our next available build opening will be LATE 2017. We are currently accepting applications for 2018.
1. To qualify, you must have a housing need. This will be subject to home visitation by the selection committee members.
2. You need to have lived in the Highland Lakes service area for one year before applying.
3. You must have a documented monthly income and meet the minimum income requirements, based on the latest HUD figures for Burnet/Llano county. All incomes listed are annual totals.
4. Your total income must meet the minimum annual income requirements listed below-
- Single Member Household – $34,550 ($2879/month)
- Two Member Household – $39,450 ($3288/month)
- Three Member Household – $44,400 ($3700/month)
- Four Member Household – $49,300 ($4108/month)
- Five Member Household- $53,250 ($4438/month)
- Six Member Household – $57,200 ($4767/month)
- Up to Eight Member Household – $65,100 ($5425/month)
5. With your permission, we will verify employment, income, checking and savings account balances. We will obtain a statement from your current and previous landlords; do a credit check, and a criminal check. We require IRS Form 8821 (we will provide the form) to be filled out with two copies returned to us for submission to the IRS. The criminal check is for the purpose of determining volunteer placement and will not necessarily eliminate you for partnership in the program.
6. Once approved for a Habitat home, you will agree to attend a Crown Financial Management Course or equivalent and at least one Home Depot/Lowe’s sponsored or equivalent maintenance course.
7. If approved for a Habitat home, you will be required to work 300 hours of sweat equity: 150 of these hours before construction can begin on your home, with the remaining hours being completed before you move into your new home. The applicant family must complete 200 hours. Other family members and friends over the age of 18 may complete the remaining hours. At least 150 hours need to be earned during the construction phase. An applicant family member is required to be on site every time volunteers are working.
8. If approved for a Habitat home, $1500 will be needed for a down payment and closing costs. $750 of this amount will be due before construction on your home begins. The $1500 is not inclusive of closing costs.
9. If you are approved for a home and if you meet the sweat equity, down payment, and nurturing requirements, then we will sell you the home at cost. Habitat house payments including taxes and insurance will cost approximately $600 a month (this is an estimate—the actual cost may vary).
While Habitat for Humanity will make reasonable efforts to complete the house in accordance with the plan, Habitat is unable to promise that all houses will be built according to the plan or that all houses will be built. Therefore, Habitat for Humanity cannot guarantee completion dates or the total selling costs of the house it builds.
If you are interested in Habitat and if you believe you quality for a home according to the above guidelines, we encourage you to fill out and return the application to Highland Lakes Habitat for Humanity, P. O. Box 1406, Marble Falls, TX 78654. Please include copies of the last two federal income tax returns, two pay statements from your current employer, and your last three months’ utility bills.
P.O. Box 1406, Marble Falls, TX 78654
www.hlhabitat.com ~ Phone: 830 693-0700
All information is considered confidential and is to be used only for family selection. The Selection Committee will notify you within 60 days of receiving your complete application packed and all documentation requested for your approval or denial of a Habitat house.
Families not initially accepted may reapply should their circumstances change.
If there are any questions, please send us an email at email@example.com or call (830) 693-0700 and leave a message.
Family Selection Committee Chairperson
Applicant Signature Co-Applicant Signature
Applicant Name (Printed) Co-Applicant Name (Printed)